General Shopping Guidelines
Some general guidelines to keep in mind when purchasing personal care products include:
- Look for the genuine USDA Organic Seal.
- If you can't pronounce it, you probably don't want to put it on your body. Ask yourself, "Would I eat this?"
- Look for products that are fragrance-free. One artificial fragrance can contain hundreds—even thousands—of chemicals, and fragrances are a major cause of allergic reactions.
- Pay attention to the order in which the ingredients are listed. Manufacturers are required to list ingredients in descending order by volume, meaning the first few ingredients are the most prominent. If calendula extract is the last ingredient in a long list, your calendula body wash isn't very natural.
- Stick to the basics. Do you really need 10 products to prepare for your day? Simplify your life and rescue your bank account by reducing the total number of products you use daily.
- Buy products that come in glass bottles rather than plastic, since chemicals can leach out of plastics and into the contents.Bisphenol A (BPA) is a serious concern; make sure any plastic container is BPA free.
- Look for products that are made by companies that are earth-friendly, animal-friendly and committed to organic and sustainable business practices.
SOURCE : CIDPUSA.OR