A FACTUAL GUIDE FOR CONSUMERS
Ralph U. Sierra M.D.
Why Magnetic Therapy?
Magnetic Therapy is a natural method used to relieve pain, restore energy and enhance sleep. It has proven to be a safe, effective, economical, and simple to use form of alternative therapy. Magnetic therapy is thousands of years old yet holds great promise for the future.
Benefits of Magnetic Therapy
Magnets have been scientifically proven to enable the body to regain its self-healing electromagnetic balance naturally. Strong evidence suggests that magnetic therapy may help to:
- Relieve Pain
- Reduce inflammation
- Restore natural energy
- Increase blood circulation
- Prevent or reverse infection
- Promote metabolic processing of toxins
- Support the healing process
Magnetic therapy is a non-invasive treatment method with a very high success rate. Magnetic therapy has much to offer in both the prevention and treatment of chronic ailments.
A Brief History of Magnetic Therapy
The association between magnets, health and well being is currently enjoying a revival, but the approach is not new. Magnetic therapy possesses an ancient heritage and has occupied a central role within Chinese medicine for over 2000 years. Magnetic therapy is mentioned in some of the earliest writings in Egypt, India and Greece. Until recently the scientific explanation of magnetic action was not available. Dedicated researchers and the introduction of the space age have contributed greatly to the understanding of magnetism in health and healing. NASA discovered that magnetic field generators were essential in space craft to maintain normal health for the astronauts
How Magnetic Therapy Works
Magnetic therapy utilizes the natural energy of magnetism that is important to human existence and overall health. A magnetic field provides a (natural) way to assist the (body’s normal healing process) as it passes through all tissues and cells. Studies show that magnets can be an effective therapy for the relief of pain by blocking pain sensations.
- Applying magnetic fields to an injured area improves blood flow and oxygen to enhance the body’s natural healing process.
- The improved blood flow and fluid exchange to the injured tissue helps reduce pain and inflammation.
Dr. U. Warnke’s studies showed higher body temperatures under the influence of magnetic fields. His study used infrared thermography, a method that maps increased heat caused by increased blood flow thus proving magnetic fields increase circulation.
In 1997, Dr. Carlos Valbona of the Baylor College of Medicine, published a study that reported:
- 76% success rate. 76% of treated patients using permanent magnets reported a decrease in arthritic joint and muscle pain VS: 19% of placebo patients.
Diabetic Foot Pain:
In 1999, Dr. Michael Weintraub of New York Medical College, released a study that showed a significant rate of reduction in foot pain that afflicts millions of diabetics.
- 90% success rate. Using magnetic insoles, nine out of ten diabetics reported a decrease in painful burning sensations, numbness and tingling VS. Only a 22% reporting improvement in the placebo group.
The Effects of Magnetic Poles
In simple terms, magnetic poles have the following effect:
North Pole – has a sedating, healing effect.
South Pole – has a stimulating, activating effect.
Bipolar (both poles) – Increases circulation, and is effective in pain control on conditions on or near the skin surface.