CIDPUSA.ORG Autoimmune Disease

Home About Contact

Toxic Mold

Mold Exposure causes a autoimmune reaMold Exposure causes a autoimmune reaction and can result in CIDP and other autoimmune diseases. This can be treated by IVIg and antifungal treatment.

Molds are part of the natural environment.Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided.Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air.Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet.There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

Mold FAQ

How can I be exposed to indoor molds?
Mold is found all over , indoors and outdoors. Mold spores are present air of homes and grow on damp surfaces. Much of the mold found indoors comes from outdoor sources. Thus , everyone is exposed tomold on a daily basis without evident harm. Mold spores primarily cause health problems when they enter the air and are inhaled in large numbers. People can also be exposed to mold through skin contact and eating. 

How much mold can makes onesick? 
It depends. For some people, a relatively small number of mold spores can cause health problems. For other people, it may take many more. The basic rule is, if you can see or smell it, take steps to eliminate the excess moisture, and to cleanup and remove the mold. 

Who is atrisk when exposed to mold?

Exposure to mold is not healthy for anyone inside buildings. It is important to quickly identify and correct any moisture sources before health problems develop. The following individuals appear to be at higher risk for adverse health effects of molds:

  • infants and children
  • elderly
  • immune compromised patients (people with HIV infection, cancer chemotherapy, liver disease, etc.)
  • pregnant women
  • individuals with existing respiratory conditions, such as allergies, multiple chemical sensitivity, and asthma.

People with these special concerns should consult a physician if they are having health problems. 

What symptoms are common?
Allergic reactions may be the most common health problem of mold exposure. Typical symptoms reported (alone or in combination) include
  • respiratory problems, such as wheezing, and difficulty in breathing
  • nasal and sinus congestion
  • eyes-burning, watery, reddened, blurry vision, light sensitivity
  • dry, hacking cough
  • sore throat
  • nose and throat irritation
  • shortness of breath
  • skin irritation
  • central nervous system problems (constant headaches, memory problems, and mood changes)
  • aches and pains
  • possible fever

Are some molds more hazardous than others? 
Allergic persons vary in their sensitivities to mold, both as to amount and type needed to cause reactions. In addition, certain types of molds can produce toxins, called mycotoxins, that the mold uses to inhibit or prevent the growth of other organisms. Mycotoxins are found in both living and dead mold spores. 

Materials permeated with mold need to be removed, even after they are disinfected with cleaning solutions.Allergic and toxic effects can remain in dead spores. Exposure to mycotoxins may present a greater hazard than that of allergenic or irritative molds. Mycotoxins have been found in homes, agricultural settings, food, and office buildings.Go to main Mold page